Hello! I’m Jaime Stefanac, I’m a Collaborative Family Lawyer here at Brisbane Family Law Centre.
I joined the BFLC team in January 2023 after watching for years on the sideline in admiration of what Clarissa and the team at BFLC were achieving for their clients both in the collaborative family law space, and how they strive to make the whole experience of separation and divorce that much more understandable and less daunting for people going through it. It truly is a very special team to be a part of, with everyone always focused on the best way to do things for our individual clients – so well done for landing here!
I have always known I wanted to work in the Family Law space since my 2nd year at university, drawn to working with people to help them navigate the complexities of disentangling two lives and create the best possible futures for their children. Since my admission as a lawyer nearly 10 years ago, I have worked exclusively in the areas of Family Law and Estate Planning (and for another 9 years before that as a paralegal whilst I was studying and growing my own family!). I have had experience working in a multi-disciplinary partnership offering clients Financial Planning, Accountancy, Taxation and Legal Services as well as in a busy Family Law firm which has given me a clear understanding of the needs and goals of families with complex personal and financial situations.
Outside of the law, being outdoors and in nature is my happy place. I am lucky enough to call a farm in the Northern Rivers my home with my husband and four kids after relocating a few years ago from the Northern Beaches of Sydney. On the weekends you will find me in the vege patch, at a swim hole, in the paddock with our horses or improving my photography skills… when I’m not playing soccer mum or making another snack (I do love cooking though and am currently perfecting my sourdough baking skills!).
- I am most happy when… It is a Friday afternoon, the house is tidy, the kids are happy and I am sitting on the deck and enjoying a glass of red and a cheese platter looking out at the bush.
- My favourite comedian is… Ricky Gervais, he is a genius!
- One of my favourite quotes is… “A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.” – Greek Proverb.
- People describe me as… easy to talk to, empathetic, organised, discerning and trustworthy.
- If I wasn’t in law… I think I always would have ended up in some form of advocacy work and have always had a huge internal drive for social justice. For a long while I wanted to become a midwife in a developing country, but ultimately chose law as a more practical way to serve and balance family life.
- My favourite thing about family law is… being able to guide people through the murky waters of separation and show them a way out that focuses on resolution rather than dispute.